Sunday, September 28, 2008

soon the rocks were not smooth from their feet

We woke early. Well, around 9. Ate breakfast on the balcony of our hostel. Grapes, yogurt, carrots, bread-an off asortment. But, lovely under the Italian morning sun. The two German guys whom I was rooming with had invited me to join them on their 2.45 hour hike. Keyword- I was invited-I did not invite. Unlike a situation in Florence in which my someone wandered around with Courtney as I walked behind...another story for a different day. The Cinque Terre is composed of five small towns. It is common for travelers to make day hikes between the different towns. We were embarking on the toughest of them all-although it seemed reasonable.
I was hiking with one guy who is 6'6'' and the other 6' 1'' or 2.'' They had a good foot on me- and I would say most of that came in their legs. So, I was taking 3 steps to every one of theirs. I suppose I had a slight advantage going up hill, with a faster turn over and all. But really, the rest of the time I was running to keep up. The hike started with a beautiful view over the Mediterranean Sea with some fine Italian mountains to our backs and cheesey recorded -supposed to be-romantic music for the tourists who like to make out on the edge of the salty sea. We continued to climb, drink wasser, snap a few photos, rest, eat a second breakfast. Apparently the whole men not asking directions only plagues Americans-Germans poke fun at those who look loast but refure to ask. Or atleast that is my current thought. So, as we walked-by the way we were going in the opposite direction of the rest of the world. We continually asked other where we were going, what the terrain is like---only 12k to go! Maybe. We climbed. and circled mountains. Went on excursions. Saw the Sea. Ate enegy cookies. Listened to Simpson's quotes. Talked about language and life. Watched the sun peak out from the occasional cloud. We walked, followed the ''red-white-red'' pattern painted on various rocks and trees. We grew weary at times-but still we walked. It was odd to think I had only known these people one day. It generally takes me so long to get to know people. I guess traveling has pulled me away from my dislike-awkward appraod-stance I generally have when meeting new people- Someone always asks where you're from. If the tone of their voice in their response did not drive you up a wall then generally the conversation continues. Somone always asks: are you traveling alone? where are you in school? where next? what subject are you studying? still don't know. and so the conversation continues. Sometimes you sit around until very late. go hiking the next day-which is where I was at. Towards the music at the beginning of the hike we passed a sign which pointed towards Levanto and stated tthat it was 12 hours to that destination. We were not hking to Levanto. an hour later the exact same sign appears. Still reading the exact same number of hours. That should have been an indication...we laughed. But still we hiked. A sharper wind began to hurl for a few moments. I put on a jacket and we walked. At points the trail was flat, other times a little steep, ocassionally down hill- Directions were still being asked. It seemed we were going in the correct direction. At one point we walked through a town and filled water bottles. In the middle of the woods we walked past a bar. Then atop many hills various excerice-play structures appeared. The oddest being two curved ladders joiing at the top. Perhaps our hike was so long because we got distracted and took various ilmarked trails. Althougj, I think not. Our pace was fast-atleast for my short legs. Finally, we came to a major fork in the road. This is where we went wrong. Instead od walking stragiht down to the town- we walked on what appeared to be the main road. We walked almost the entire border of the town. The red-white-red markings vanished for a solid 1.5 hour. The trail snaked on itself. We knew at some point we would come to the road-a paved road-one with cars and people. We passed a trap. Not a tourist trap, well it could be. No. Just wild boar trap. The markings reappeared at a gate with read...keep gate shut to keep wild bpars out. Hm, wild boar country. Does this mirror cougar country? Sp we walked. I learned about my American accent and the Koln accent. We came to a road and we walked. A thumb was put out and we got a ride for a short distance. We walked. We arrived. Ate a pizza for 5 with 3. Tooks a train back to our little home, showered, played 66, and met our new roommates.
Two girls from New York- I tired to stop the conversation when their voices continues to banter about their boyfriends and vodka. But, they kept at it. Do you go home on the weekend to visit your boyfriend, ''no. i go to shool 36.4 hours from home.'' every time they left the room i would restate how annoying americans are. '' I spent 5£ on this bottle of wine. eeeecccckkk- eeeeeeeeeeccccckkkk.'' Shut up. Then there were the 3 Texans named Patric and other things too. They had big bellies, grey hair, and a good Texan humor. We generally sat in the corner and played 66 and laughed at their ''i am a texan statements.''' texas' population...3.6 billion. Land mass-eh, about the size or Europe, maybe larger. ''We hire people to drive out other two cars.'' It went on. They took our picture-with their camera-at the train station this morning. The GPS system was named Robert.
I guess that brings me to today. Well, yesterday.
European hitch hiking. Wild boars. olives and grapes. Wine making. Train rides. Cards and SPF 75 sun block.
Love,
Claire

No comments: