Tuesday, October 07, 2008

skipping around.

So I guess I have been a little busy or something because i managed to skip an entire city on here, a lovely city too. I guess seeing the world can be time consuming. So back to the Sound of Music or Salzburg, Austria. Actually, I think I will go all the way back to Innsbruck. So, I got out of my little travel funk and looked towards the hills. I wasn´t really up for locating a specific trail head so I decided to just walk until I found one. This was a rather irrational decision. I actually just started walking and then thought ´´maybe I should keep walking up-I am seriously in need of some increased-heart-rate-walking.´´ I walked up and up and up, for about an hour I was walking up, never down. I guess that is generally how it works when you are in the Alps. I walked past some neighborhoods but soon there were no more houses, then there was a trail. I walked on that until I came to a clearing which gave me an amazing view of little Innsbruck below me. This was not a hard core hike or anything considering I was wearing a skirt. But, I guess I cannot just be surrounded by mountains, I also have to be in them-
Then I went to Salzburg.
I have my own hills and the rest of the world has these hills, my hills are full of music and these ones are too...
So, yeah, the Hills are alive with the sound of music. I think it would be impossible to be in Salzburg and not be aware that this is the location for the sound of music. I saw Motzarts house and birthplace and what not...and some rain...and a fortress...and some hills...and ducks...and ate some killer chocolate. I also had my first couch surfing experience. It was nice and cheap. Luckily there were 4 other people surfing with this same guy so I guess it was not too obvious that I didn´t really know the customs of couchsurfing. Like, are you supposed to make them dinner...I guess some people do. Then again there this not a rule book to couch surfing. I guess I liked to but at the same time sometimes I feel a little young. I enjoy walking around and seeing the culture and eating chocolate while most others enjoy sitting in smoky bars. I felt obligated to socialize so I did-but now all my clothes smell like smoke. There was also a couch surfing event while I was there and this lady from New Jersey whom Thomas was also hosting request that we all goo! I was thrilled! Not really. But, yeah that was interesting it was in a giant beer hall which is still owned and operated by monks apparently. Again, that was interesting. When my host found out that I was coming to Vienna next he picked up his phone and declared 5 minutes later that he had a couch for me to stay on...which brings me to where I am now. Vienna, Austria.
I really like it here. Colourful. Lively. Not too touristy. Art! When I talked to my parents the day I departed for Vienna they listed off a handful of artists. I managed to forget all of them since I was not too familure with their names. So I turned to the Lonely Planet (my bible) for advice. I went and saw this Hundertwasser Haus which I loved. I honestly had never really heard of him before. Now he is on my favorite list. He is an artist or was an artist with everything. I almost enjoyed his simply writings more than his actual art-but it was pretty amazing too. Here is a little sample...

Our real illiteracy is our inability to create.


If we do not honour our past we lose our future. If we destroy our roots we cannot grow.

Man is a guest of nature and should behave.

A church should be beautiful, one should like to go inside, should feel at home inside. One should find in it a bridge to God, to nature and to creation.
God should like to go into this house of god, built by men to meet with him there.
God is creator, if man wants to fulfill his purpose as god´s image he also has to be creative.
If man is creative he comes nearer to god.

So. Yes. I was really very in love with him. I think I am off to see some more art today and probably my next post will come from Helsinki, Finland (I am flying there tomorrow morning).

I am sorry that this post is very unorganized and kind of all over the place and probably makes no sense...I will try to be better about updating it for the next 3 weeks or however long I have left. Until the 29th of October.

I am going to be cold, chocolate with have to come in a hot and liquid form. Still on the bread and cheese diet. With a few bananas here and there. Art. Style. Metro stations.
Love,
Claire

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Claire,
You barely know me - I'm becoming one of your Mom's friends (something I'm really excited about) - she sent me your link and after reading a few entries, I wanted to write. First, let me say I'm very excited/interested in your adventure! Second, thank you for sharing your thoughts and observations. You do all of us a great service in taking us along. I have two daughters who are exploring some of the same ideas as you. One is a senior in high school and the other, a junior at UPS, about to embark on a study abroad in Australia next Spring. I hope it's ok with you that I've passed on your blog address. You may or may not hear from them (I hope you do) but I know they will be interested in following your story.
For now, know that I'm sending you good vibes and lots of wishes for a safe journey. Be well, keep your eyes open, your mind ticking...
from your village,
Bev Warren-Leigh

Claire said...

Bev,
Thank you for your nice remarks and advice. I know exactly who you are and I think that you are already friends with my mom, you are just becoming better ones. I do not mind at all if your daughters read this, I cant believe they will find it that interesting but, maybe...
Thanks for reading it.
-Claire