Saturday, October 25, 2008

Walking to Sweden

Getting to Stockholm was not easy, a train to a place that starts with an ''F.'' Take a vintage bus, probably used in a war-there were bullets shots in the rusty tin- to Torino. Walk to Sweden. reset clock and exchange Euro. Get on a double decker bus to Lulea. Walk around for a few hours-locate bread and cheese. Finally, board night train to Stockholm. From leaving Rovanemi to actually arriving in Stockholm lasted from 9am on the 15th to 7am on the 16th. I was a little tired and welcomed into Stockholm by some nice showers. honestly, it felt good to be rained on. I was in need of a bath- probably could have just taken one in the street. I don't think anyone would have minded or have been bothered by my nudity.

I have relatives in Stockholm. Not just the ones from 100's of years ago who are now in the earth. Living ones. I am not sure how we are related but, family is family. According to the books there is a connection. When Gunilla bought me lunch the first afternoon I wanted to start crying, there was so much food...a very balanced meal too. I think that maybe I will go off brown foods when I get home. bread, chocolate, cheese- i guess this generally isn't borwn, but in norway they have some special cheese, brown cheese.

Stockholm was wonderful. I sat on the water studying a lone rose in front of city hall. I couldn't help but imagine myself living there, or atlest a similar city. It is clean-despite Gunilla's remarks. It is fall now, the leaves are so fresh and the air almost spicey crisp. It is historical and modern. Outdoorsy and urban. Bike and bus friendly. It is a comfortable place. Perhaps I felt some sort of calling because of my Swedish roots. I don't know. I think I was influenced by the warm home and the company of another human being.

Autum. A ship that sat in the baltic sea for 333 years. Coco ball. Architecture museum. Churches and lots of pillows.

Love,
Claire

1 comment:

Alex Miller said...

Ok. So I must admit that I got pretty darn busy here lately, and I haven't had that much time to catch up on your blog, but this particular one reminded me of when I was over there.

The Vasa was a pretty awesome museum. I can still remember a lot of it. I also remember drawing my concept electric car, the "Voltra", in their basement. And some of the fantastic cheeses! We took a long train to get there too. I was reminded just yesterday that I need to get my passport updated. You will certainly have a lot of new stamps on yours. :)

Glad to hear that you made it home alright by now, as well!